Sunday, August 16, 2009

Message from a Stereotyped Teen

Today's blog comes in four parts. One part is a letter to the editor of my local newspaper protesting the stereotyping of teenagers, part two is a journal entry and the same matter, and how I'm frustrating with our ageist society, part three is your questions/tasks and part four is some random stuff.

Editor,

I'm a teenager. You know, those rebellious, discourteous, rabble rousers you see vandalizing the neighbourhood and kicking small dogs and soda machines? Can I help that I'm fifteen years old and thus cast as the unruly youth found sitting outside MacDonald's doing apparently nothing?

No, I can't. It's an age, not a warning label.

Frankly, I'm tired of all those people who frown, condescendingly, upon teenagers. While recently seeing a movie with my sisters and mother, I disturbed a fellow viewer while laughing too loudly at an inappropriate moment (to her, at least) and received a glare, a scoff and a whisper to her neighbour, "Teenagers."

Is anyone else tired of the stereotype? I could defend myself on several aspects of the accusations commonly made: I don't drink, I'm not on drugs, I volunteer in my community at tree planting events and film festivals, I inform myself on politics and global issues, I'm a Girl Guide, for crying out loud! I'm one of those smile-wearing, uniformed girls standing outside the mall selling cookies. And yet I'm scoffed at by "my superiors" for enjoying myself in a public place.

I apologize if I ruined the movie for anyone; that was not my intent. What can I say? Maybe public disturbance is just one of those reflexes for us rowdy teens. Then again, who are you to judge me for enjoying a film?

I'm a teenager. I laughed in a movie. Sue me. Or better yet, call the authorities before things get out of hand.

I haven't submitted the letter yet, but I intend to do so on Monday. Let me know if you think I should make any edits. I'll let you know if it gets published.

I tire of all the cold-hearted people in the world, who make it their pleasure in life to rain on the parades of young, blissful people who are full of life.
It is hard to be sympathetic with these people when they are glaring at you for laughing too hard in the movie theatre, but I suppose it is as unfair as being irritated at someone who is partially deaf for asking you to repeat yourself.
To some extent, one must pity these people, for they are most likely sufferers of jealousy.
We must be patient and polite and calmly explain how to stick is to be removed.
It is difficult, but it is the responsibility of the fabulous. This is the price we pay for awesomeness.
Don't hate the haters, they haven't found their kefi and that is sad.

(I will grant you this is a little pretentious--especially the bit about jealously. Maybe they're just really mad for being disturbed in the movie--but take into account I was a little frustrated when I wrote it.)
***Questions/Tasks***
Di scribe yourself in a six word sentence: (i'm assuming you meant describe yourself intellectually and not physically... here goes)

I've big ideas and wild wit.

(I know one wouldn't usually contract 'I have' in such a way, but I was under constraints)

Q: What would your patronus be?
A: A cat, I'm pretty sure. A cute little tabby.

Q: Whatcha reading?

Random notes
I had an idea for my personal blog for a project next year which is to read a classic novel every month for a year and to blog about it. What do you think?

For my book club I'm reading Pride and Prejudice again, and I really love that book. And the movie, which is stunningly beautiful.

2 comments:

Vita said...

I think it's a great letter. It's very true, certainly.

The other thing that bugs me is when you have people telling you that your generation sucks. Thanks, love you too.

Anonymous said...

I think it's good, but it's a little strong at the moment. Also, there's a typo. So you may want to spellcheck it before you send it anywhere.
Love you blog. dFtBa