Thursday, July 8, 2010

Broad Fantasy Statements

I should really start to write these things before 11:20 at night when I'm about to brush my teeth and I can barely keep my eyes open.

I'm really tired right now only I can't bring myself to get out of this chair. I suppose this is all due to the strenuous day I had in which I didn't change out of my pajama pants and stayed in the house all day (unless you count going to the mailbox). You know how it is with the reading fantasy books (really just one, though) and knitting and eating brownies and ice cream bars. It's tough.

I'm so shallow. Urg.

I don't really enjoy fantasy books. That's a pretty broad statement, I know and also flawed seeing as how I'm a self professed Harry Potter nerd but I'm limited in my fantastical scope. As for context, I'm reading Sabriel, by Garth Nix, for book club and it's not exactly gripping.

Today, at my dinner table we had some insanely mental conversation, some of which involved what it is we don't like about the fantasy genre exactly. I wasn't completely satisfied with any of what we came up with except for that Sabriel is very much a reactive characters. She only makes decisions when she has to. She only reacts, never does anything without an external push. It's infuriating.

That's all the thought provoking material you're going to get tonight. It's now 11:33 and I'm apparently going on a hike tomorrow in the 30 degree weather. I don't know what that is in American but last week it was no hotter than 17 C so it's a dramatic change. And I just talked about the weather... yeah.

1 comment:

Vita said...

Yeah, sometimes fantasy relies too much on the complicated, glittery magic and not enough on the actual plot and characters... Another common flaw is the fantasy aspect of the book is made too complicated or is not developed/explained enough and it ends up being distracting rather than engrossing.

Come to think of it, I haven't actually read too much fantasy. However, from what I've read thus far, I can't say that I dislike the genre as a whole! :)