Friday, July 30, 2010

Procrastionation, Pwned

The school year is quickly becoming an entrance to that long, dark, and metaphorical tunnel that everyone's always talking about. Given that I'm a) going to be a Junior next year which b) signifies the beginning of my "journey" through the IB program, my slight procrastination problem is looking more self-screwing that ever.

For example: right now, I should be finishing my summer math packet, be almost done with Song of Solomon, and nearly finished with the work that accompanies Act 1 of That French Play. In reality, I am a little more than halfway done with said math packet, on chapter nine (out of fifteen) in Song of Solomon, and I have yet to read further than the second page of Les Justes.

(Alex, you're not the only one who has an apparent fondness for fucking oneself over.)

So: partly* to showcase my brilliant anti-procrastination tactics, partly because I'm determined to finish this goddamn math packet before the night is over and therefore need to finish this blog up, here are some screen shots of the beautiful second "Homework" account I have created on my laptop. The idea is that I will do all computer-related homework on this account because I have blocked practically every distracting website I visit. MARVEL IN ITS GLORY.


Organized Word is organized!



New desktop background: because no matter how bad the school year gets, Harry Potter had it worse.
(Also, Harry Potter is inspiring.)


Look at how many websites I can't get access! SWEET FREEDOM.
(I have since added, like, ten more since I took this.)
(Also, after doing this, I realized that I could have just blocked blogspot.com, etc. Oh well. It's more... personalized this way.)



*Does anyone know what the difference between "partly" and "partially" is? I have trouble distinguishing between the two. According to dictionary.com, "partly" is defined as "in part; to some extent or degree; partially; not wholly" and "partially" is defined as "being such in part only; not total or general; incomplete." What? Not helpful, dictionary.com. Any advice? Is there a nuance between them?

4 comments:

Astrid said...

IS THAT MY TUMBLR THAT I SEE THERE?
:')
#sohappyyayyy

Vita said...

HAHA YES. You have made the list of sites that I find sufficiently distracting. CONGRATULATIONS!

P.S. hashtags don't work on Blogger ;)

Alex said...

I actually just thought in my mind, "Well partly is for when you're talking about parts and partially is for when you're talking about partials."

Seriously, Alex? Get it together.

Renata said...

According to whatever dictionary Apple references when words are right-clicked, "partly" is more formal and less ambiguous. I use partially more, but maybe that's because I'm indecisive.