Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Writing/Naming Styles

I've been analyzing my writing using this thing for quite a while, only stopping to start this blog about it because it's strange and awesome and could very likely be of use to you guys. The first thing I tried was my blog here on the 4th of July (the last blog wherein I actually talked about things), and I got Stephen King.

So, yeah.

But then I decided to do a very decidedly scientific thing and analyze other samples of my writing to see if the results were consistent. They weren't. I got JD Salinger twice, George Orwell once, Shakespeare once (I know, right?) with the most frequent being Margaret Atwood. I wasn't familiar with her style of writing enough to be flattered by this, so I Wikipedia'd her. I like the comparison now, but I still can't form an opinion as to whether or not it's accurate.

I don't know who I would've LIKED to have gotten (*cough*MaureenJohnsonJohnGreenDouglasAdams*coughcough*), nor do I know all the authors entered into the analysis-thing. Or what criteria it bases the results on (I'd say it's more on word choice than genre or subject, though). I just thought it was entertaining. And in theory I could continue to search through everything I've written that's conveniently accessible on my computer and analyze it until I get the result I want.

My last scientific venture was to submit an excerpt from my novel instead of blog posts, so that the writing would reflect how I write dialog and whatnot in SERIOUS WRITING FORM as opposed to rambling about my life non-seriously. Unprecedented results. Woo. Chuck Palahnuik, the guy who wrote Fight Club. I haven't even seen the movie but I'll take that as a compliment. Yes? OH OH OH AND: Excerpt from my uncompleted Harry Potter-Doctor Who crossover fanfiction (bask in the supremely nerdy glory of that phrase...) got JK ROWLING. Previous results have shown subject is irrelevant, so that proves the style is at least somewhat right. Right? Whatever. Yay.

Also (I sense this post is getting long, but I guess that will make up for my recently very short ones), I finished Catching Fire (the suspense was ruined for me by my knowledge that there had to be another book, thus realistically no one important would die...) I like everyone except for Katniss now (I'll go into specifics later, in another post/the comments). Which was probably not supposed to happen, but I'm definitely going to read Mockingjay. What interested me more were the names of the characters, which can be broken down into 4 categories:

Plants And Nature: Katniss, Primrose, Gale, Posy, President Snow, Haymitch arguably
Random Cool-Sounding Nouns (Correct Spelling Optional): Peeta, Rue, Marvel, Glimmer, Cashmere, Twill, Wiress
Names Ending In A Long E: Annie, Bonnie, Rory, Posy, Effie
Roman: Cinna, Caesar, Portia, Brutus

At first I just thought these were weird choices, but then: what do most modern/common names mean? Most are foreign and/or archaic, about God/justice/defense/peace/hope-- concepts that have probably been corrupted for these people, having to watch the country fall into ruin and then watch their kids go on a killing spree to make up for it. So they just pick things relating to their occupation or that sound cool.

There's a Hunger Games name generator somewhereabouts on the internets, which I can't find. But here's what I remember of it + my addendum:

1.) Second syllable of your middle name (If it's one syllable or you don't have one, or you're rocking the Harry Truman initial-only thing: second syllable of your last name)
2.) Add "ket" to that = first name
3.) First letter of your favorite teacher's last name = middle initial (if you want a whole middle name, pick a word you like the sound of that starts with that letter)
4.) Plant
5.) Add a verb to 4. = last name.

Mine: Chelleket Whistle Basilrun-- I'm pretty sure I'd get killed on the third day.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Fascinating, what you say about names. I never really thought about it other to think 'Weird names' and 'haha Peeta sounds like a weird version of Peter'. Also, one time I repeated a quote (something about undying love for Peeta) and a friend who hadn't read the book thought I was talking of the bread. I wasn't.

My name is Gowket H. Lavendereat but I would prefer to use the first three letters of my middle name rather than the second syllable of my last name because I'm not drawn to Gowket. That would make me Jayket. Jayket Lavendereat. Meh.

Vita said...

Aceket D. Willowsleep, although technically my middle name is only once syllable, so it would be Chaket (pronounced "shayket," like "shake it") D. Willowsleep.

Ha... definitely up there on the list of worst names ever, regardless of the setting...

Apparently I write like James Joyce (aaaaaay, just read two of his stories for English!). Except I am extremely dubious because I pasted almost the exact same text in there yesterday and it gave me the name of some science fiction writer whose name I can't remember. Also, I feel like something that actually analyzed your writing wouldn't give you feedback so quickly. It's entertaining but I think it just spits out a random name every time... or if it really is based on statistics, it doesn't do a very good job of comparing them.