Thursday, September 24, 2009

Alex's Fool Proof Remedy for Bad Days

I'm writing this on a Wednesday. The reason being that ever since we started this blog, Wednesdays have seemed a little more depressing to me. If someone asks me how I am on a Wednesday, I say I'm sad because there's no blog on Wednesday. They usually don't understand what I'm alluding to.

I got the idea for this blog from Kayley of the fiveawesomegirls.

It's nearing the end of September which means that school has started and we're settled into a new routine which we will keep for the months ahead. The new, excitingness of school has worn off somewhat, and now it's just kind of there, making you wake up early and trek through halls filled with oodles of people who are just as tired as you. I'm completely theorizing here, seeing as I don't actually go to school, but that's a minor detail. I feel your pain.
"One of those days" is becoming a common phrase. Crumminess seems to be all around. It is with that in mind that I present to you...

Alex's Fool-Proof Remedy for Days You Wish Would End Already

When I'm feeling shitty I have two options:
  1. I can go to my bed, hide under the covers and wallow in it. or
  2. I can grab my laptop and try to cheer up.
I'll be honest, sometimes I don't even bother thinking about this choice, I just sink into the default of option 1. However, after I've cried about it, I want to forget about it and move on so that brings me to option 2. There are also times when I skip over the wallowing and have a laugh. Either way, I end up at option 2.

Once you've gotten to your computer, you'll want to head straight over to YouTube.

I'm about to give you the gift of Jensen Ackles:
I hope you enjoyed it. I've seen that guy with my own EYES. He was 20 feet away from me. He is made of awesome. If you're reading this, Jensen, don't get a fat head, and my sister Caitlyn says hi.
Once you have Eye of the Tiger stuck in your head, go to the vlogbrothers. You can watch anything really but I kinda like these two for being cheered up in general:
If you're just angry at the world, Hank can sympathathize:
If someone insulted you and that's part of why you feel shitty, this should do the trick:
These aren't my absolute favourite vlogbrothers videos (well maybe the insults one and of course, The Anglerfish) but I like to watch them when I'm in the depths of despair.

Then I'll read something funny or happy. Maybe The Mortal Instruments (any part with Jace. Or Simon. Or Magnus.), or Harry Potter, or Paper Towns.

If all else fails, read something sad, and just cry. Like that City of Glass scene with Clary and Jace near the final battle (if you've read the books you KNOW what I'm taking about). Or maybe Looking for Alaska, After. Or the part in Deathly Hallows where Harry's walking to the forest.
The world is not short of sad book scenes. Find one. Read it. Be sad about something that's not your life.

After that just watch Gilmore Girls.

It's an extensive process, but if you don't feel a little bit better at the end of it, you should seek therapy.

*notes: a few optional procedures that I personally enjoy*
-If you're angry sometimes it's good to destroy stuff. Grab a unicorn piƱata and beat the crap out of it.
-Put on Scream (from HSM3) and sing along to Zac Efron while stomping around your house.
-Run. Preferably outside.
-Write a blog about the crap that is your day.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Three notes:
-I forgot a question, but here it is: Jacob or Edward?
-Also: The Quote Off. Any ideas how a quote off works?
-Just wanted to correct something from the comments of my last blog: People from Vancouver are called Vancouverites, not Vancouvians. Just thought you should know. Hooray for factlets.

Vita said...

Quote-Off: Well, I guess we could either do it here or on Twitter (or on some other internet thingy if you know of such a place), right? I suppose there could different categories and either you say as many quotes from that category as you can until you run out, or it could just be whichever quote fits that category the best. Quality vs quantity, you know.

I agree with the sad-book-reading/crying thing. I think that helps me the most, really. At least there's someone's life that sucks and/or is more difficult (at that particular second) than yours (even if they're not necessarily real). :)