Friday, September 18, 2009

Life's Lists

Sniff. Snurfle.

Reasons why the Suckage Meter of my life is rising from "Low" to "Moderate" right now:

1. Some lovely little bug has attacked me and is making my nose runny, my eyes water, my throat scratchy, and my general head area more tired than usual.

2. I've barely started the project that I was supposed to have a meeting for today (that I missed).

3. I'm teetering on the edge between "comprehension" and "complete and utter befuddlement" in Chemistry and Algebra.

4. Despite the fact that the only thing I have going onto until late September/early October is school, I have NO TIME or energy to do ANYTHING.


Things that are currently annoying me:


1. People who say "I hate drama" but are the ones that start it.

2. People who say "I hate people who say 'I hate drama' but are the ones who start it" because the person saying that is usually at least partially to blame, too.

3. The fact that I technically don't have to read The Catcher in the Rye two chapters at a time, but I really should, because reading ahead means a ton more work searching back through the book when we get to those chapters in class.

4. People who get all mad and pissy when their oh-so-obscure indie band becomes popular. You're not the first person to like their music, you certainly won't be the last; if you can't handle having to share your beloved musician with other people then maybe you should stop listening to music because a whole lot of bands become popular WITHOUT SELLING OUT. Knowing little-known bands doesn't automatically make you cool or the envy of others.

5. People who label other people. It's stupid, it's immature, and you can bet that you're being labeled by someone too, so don't even bother. For the record, "hipster" is such a goddamn obnoxious name; chill the f@!% out.


Things I want to do:

1. Drop any "logical thinking" classes (i.e. math & science) from my schedule and sign up for Law and WorldLit

2. Find and eat Rasberry Scones from Great Harvest Bread company.

3. Pre-order "Going Bovine" by Libba Bray (it's not much of a pre-order seeing as it's coming out in, what, two days? but still).

4. Stop complaining, which brings me to

5. Discuss books.

Are we still doing the book club, guys? Were we going to read "The Hunger Games" by whatsit? It's supposed to be good; I know that you like it, Alex (duhr, you recommended it), and apparently so does everybody else except for me (and a few other million people) who haven't read it yet. *thrusts dagger into chest* I think it's a good idea, but I'm confused as to how we were planning on doing this... like, should we all blog on one day to discuss the book? Or do we just convert our blogs on our regular days into book discussion type things? Or should the book discussion be a part/section of our regular blog posts? Enlighten me, please. :)

Do you have any feelings towards an inanimate object?
I think I already put this in comment form, but yes: towards most books, just because I am so opposed to replacing the book industry with online books. NO NO NO NO NO, I don't want a freaking Kindle.
Also, towards quite a few childhood toys/stuffed animals. Towards a lot of the stuff I have, really. This is why I have such a tough time cleaning: almost everything I have has some sort of emotion context and/or imagined purpose in my mind.

Do you have a favorite quote? If so, what is it?

[I'm just going to go ahead and tell you mine because I can't hold it back: "Basically, what we have here is a dreamer. Someone out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly," from The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides.
Most of my favorite quotes come from books. Yay for book nerds!]

PS, sorry for being so obnoxious and complain-y, it's just one of those days.

3 comments:

Renata said...

*I know I'm not religious and saying this out of a religious context is cliche and somewhat, what, blasphemous?* but A-flipping-MEN to that!

Ii *is* just "one of those days"... *sigh* My life, right now is filled with brain crack and general confusion.

Book club. Yes, let's, but how?

*maniacal laughter. because sometimes all you need to do is laugh, but it comes out all crazy*

Alex said...

Okay well in my mind when I conceived of the idea, I figured it would work like this:

-Person who suggest the book (host) comes up with a list of questions re: the book. These can come from the host's* brain or from Google's brain, or any other source.

-Host posts questions in blog with their personal answers and then other bloggers answer the questions on their respective days.

-The next days bloggers may respond to each others answers and comments in a sort of discussion-y forum.

-At the last part of each person's last day, they may form a few sentences about their final conclusion of the book.

Will this worky for you?

*The Host, by Stephenie Meyer is a surprisingly good book... just so you know.

Vita said...

Yes, well, I don't think any of us are especially religious, so I suppose you'll get away with saying "Amen" ... this time. ;)

Brain crack is very annoying, I know. D: Let it all out, you can do it! You can stop the addiction! I believe in you! Whoooo


I think that would work... I think I follow what you're saying. Mkdokies.