Monday, September 7, 2009

Nerdfighteria!

Being a Nerdfighter is a badge of honor for many, and I feel that it's important to reevaluate why we are, indeed, nerdy. Luckily, I am an expert nerd and thus have many ways to fulfil the nerdish criteria of Nerdfighteria (if such criteria exists... which I feel it does, although it is rather lax, as I feel it should be):

It goes without saying, but I'm a Harry Potter nerd, of course.

Unlike some people, I wasn't a die-hard fan from the start. My affection towards the entire Harry Potter world came in bursts at first, with little lulls of indifference inbetween.

I remember the first time I read the books and in which order, as well. No, I didn't go 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 like a normal person; I started reading the books in third grade, I think, when only numbers 1 - 4 were published. I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets first; I'm not sure why, and I don't remember how well I understood everything, not having the previous one for background knowledge, but there you are. My sister got this book (the English version from one of our family's British friends) as a birthday present and let me read it. I then read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (in the order). My mom works as an assistant librarian at my elementary school, and I used to go to work with her in the mornings before school started. Bored one day, I picked up the book and started reading it. To be frank, I read the other two books simply to round off the series; I don't think I was particularly attached to them. I know I liked them, but not more than a number of other books I had read.

I started getting more interested in them in fifth grade, which was around the time that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was released. My best friend at the time was a HUGE Harry Potter fan and I sort of rekindled my love for the books because she was always going on about them. * This lasted into sixth grade, but middle school = hell and I got caught up in the various endeavours of my fellow seventh graders.

My interest leveled off until about a year and a half ago, a few months after the last book came out. I re-re-read the series and borrowed my sister's copy of Deathly Hallows; to be completely honest I had avoided reading it because I didn't want to read about characters I loved dying (I think anyone who had read the other books expected at least a few people to die). I read it, wept appropriately, and avoided reading any of the books until a few months after that, at which point I completely re-read the series and fell in love all over again. A year later, they're still some of my favorite books, and I only wish I had been more involved all the way through. They mean so much to me and they genuinely deserve all the attention they get. In case you're wondering, my "Harry Potter phone number" is 7-6-3-1-4-5-2. :)

Moreover, I'm a booknerd, which is like a bookworm, but more obsessive. I LOVE books. I having a deep-seated resentment towards those people who claim reading is boring because I really don't see how any literate person could think that. In many important ways, books have shaped and changed my life since I was a tiny, tiny person.

I'm also interested in politics. Not going into them, but following them. I believe it's important for us to keep tabs on what our government and what other governments are doing; otherwise, we won't be able to change anything that may go wrong. It's also worth it for catching the incredibly... stupid things politicians do, for helping one to understand the SNL sketches, and for finding a politician to yell at on those days when you hate the world and don't have one particular person to be mad at.

I'm a fashion nerd, which may not be the nerdiest thing to nerd over, but there you have it. I don't always look like I care about what I wear (most schooldays, I live in jeans, sweatpants, and t-shirts... can you say "waking up at 5:45am?") but I'm so interested in fashion. It's an art form; most people don't see it like that, but it really is... it's another way to express yourself, like music or writing.

I'm a Drama/Theatre nerd, which is one of the best types of nerdom there is. It's hard to explain why Drama is so amazing unless you're in it; even if you just want to help out backstage, you should JOIN. It's like a huge extended family of Awesome People.

Best of all, I'm a Nerd Nerd. I don't always get excited over science/math-y things, but one of the things I like most about myself is that I let myself like something, no matter what other people think. This is a relatively new character development in my part; I certainly wasn't like that in middle school. But really, I am an obsessive person, which is one of the many reasons why I love Nerdfighters so much. <3 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Do I want to get married?
I suppose. I'm not that bothered, really. I think I'd like to get married, but it's not my life's goal.
Kids, however, is another question. I quite like babysitting, but I would NOT want to have kids.

What expressions are weird?
Most cliches, really.

Question: How are YOU a nerd?


Today's topic was inspired by the fiveawesomegirls on the Youtubes.
By the by, sorry for not blogging on Friday. I don't have a good excuse other than extreme fatigue and a sudden volleyball game?

* This is not a bad thing, and I was not annoyed by it, but it's true... she was legitimately obsessed

1 comment:

Alex said...

I like exploring nerdiness and what makes us nerdy. It's uber fun.

As for drama, I think I was born to be an actress but I was discouraged when I was in a homeschool drama class (around age 10/11) which put on Oliver Twist and I was wrongly cast in the small role of Old Sally.
I realize that it's a bit immature of me to say this and I'll admit that, but my obvious talent was ignored and wasted on three fricking lines. (I think the director regretted it afterwards because I did so well with my three lines...)

After that I kind of turned away from the stage. Maybe I will go into backstage work... after all Carmen from Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 did end up with that scrummy British fellow (who has an accent, speaks Shakespearean and is really hot).