Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Myriad of Things

I'm watching Beauty and the Beast right now. What a funny fellow that Beast is. He's so angry, but sweet in the end. They're about to dance! Awww. Ew, Gaston is such a creeper. Now it's over. *sigh*

You may or may not notice that I tweaked the blog layout a bit. The column our main text is in is a little wider. Hope you don't mind. I also changed the layout on my personal blog which you may have seen. I'm trying to think about a good logo for a header for this blog, but I don't have any really awesome. Any ideas?

I got my course info this week and I'm unusually excited about getting started. This semester I'm taking Language Arts, Essentials of Math, Planning and Visual Arts: Mixed Media. I'm most looking forward to art because apparently there's some image editing in there. But yeah, it's exciting.

Q: What math class are you in? Is it considered advanced?

I used to like math. Adding and subtracting and multiplication and all that jazz. I was good at it. I like graphs. I understand fractions. What I don't get is the reason for all this advanced math. Who is actually going to use trigonomotry in their life? Who cares about calculus and that stuff. I think that once you have an understanding of the key principals of math, you're set, unless you decide to be an accountant of mathematician. Instead of showing our work, I think we should be learning to use a calculator.
There's three options for math once you get to grade nine. You've got Applications of Math which is really simple stuff for people who struggle with "regular" math. Then you've got Essentials of Math, which is what I'm taking, which is for "challenged" people. And then there's Principals of Math which is the real hard stuff for people who can handle it.
Although I'm sure I could handle Principals, I'm taking Essentials because my mom refers to it as 'life skills math'. Instead of patterns and shapes, I'll be doing personal banking and wages, salaries expenses.
It's still math and I'm still doing trigonometry, but at least there's some useful stuff thrown in there.
So yeah, Essentials of Math is for stupider people, but I'm not taking it for that reason. I mean it's nice perk to be able to say I'm in the math course designed for challenged learners, but the real reason is so that I can learn my way around a spreadsheet. Hooray.

Q: What expressions are weird?

When in doubt: GOOGLE! I found a linky. So I'm going to respond to a few of these one what I thought they meant, and then you can click the linky and see what they REALLY mean. OR you could just take my word for the truth. You decide.

"Put a sock in it" means be quiet. I always though it meant to literally put a sock in your mouth and shut up. Apparently not.

"Cold turkey" means to give something up. I always though it meant like after Thanksgiving you're going to start dieting so you give up eating cold turkey on sandwiches and stuff.

"Son of a gun" is an exclamation or adjective. I though it was just something you said when you started to say son of a b**** but then you realized there were sensitive listeners around and tried to tone it down.

"The big cheese" means an important person or boss. I thought it was because the head mouse gets the big cheese.

That's all for today folks. Check out that linky and you might just learn something.

Q: Would you rather be a ninja or zombie?

It's funny you should ask. Well not that funny. But I'm going to a camp in a couple weeks and the theme is Pirates vs. Ninjas. I'm being a ninja, because a) they get to be stealthy and b) pirates are too cliche. So if it were a choice between wanting to eat brains and getting to wear black a kick people, I'm going to go with kicking people every time. NINJA out.

4 comments:

Vita said...

Yes! "Sensible math" is is much better than all this stupid crap that they make us do. I have no idea how to pay bills and crap; somebody teach me life-skills, please.
Sorry if this seems stupid, but how is the school system in Canada? In the USA it's usually grades K - 12 and you graduate from 12th grade when you're about 18 (sometimes 17 or 19). Are the grades different in Canada?

Can I also say that WHERE DO YOU FIND SUCH AMAZING CAMPS? I want to go to this so badly.

Renata said...

Oh, gee. First HP camp and NOW Ninja camp! Is this some kind of sekrit Canadian homschoolers only club? *Iz jeluz*

Really. I'd rather find out how to balance a checkbook than figure out what some IMAGINARY number is.

Alex said...

It's a Scout camp. They invite the Girl Guides and we all go and have an awesome time. The last time I went we basically just read

To make you even more jealous I will tell you that at the camp there will be a costume dance party. With oodles of teenagers jumping up and down and rubbing up against each other to really loud music. Fun.

WE have the same grades here in Canada. K-12 start at 5 and escape at 18 (give or take).

Vita said...

NOOO FAIR. *iz jealuz D:

Ah, thanks for the clarification, these types of things don't seem to stick in my brain, haha