Monday, September 7, 2009

How am I NOT a nerd?

Alrighty, this is a draft, only containing my nerd subcategories and explanations...

In one vlogbrothers video, John describes being nerdy as being overenthusiastic about something and not being ashamed of it. I am this way about a number of things.

HP NERD-- I am. Yes. I started reading them a little later than everyone else (not because I was slow or anything, I just associated big book = long and boring. I was wrong, of course.) but once I started reading them I couldn't stop. By that time books 1-4 had already come out, so once I had finished those and I had to wait a year for Order of the Phoenix, I was like "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Is it possible to be a Nerdfighter Nerd? I'm nerdy for all of Nerdfighteria, Hank, John, all the little in-jokes in the vlogbrothers videos, I love it/them. I WILL move to Nerdfighteria. ;P

80s games nerd-- Yeah, I suck fantastically at WiiAnything and Guitar Hero and anything that has been released in the last decade, but I will KICK YO SORRY BUTTZ at Pacman, Tetris, Space Invaders, anything of the primitive animation/awesome music variety.

Movie nerd-- I just like movies. A lot. Older movies, in black and white is a plus. (But, all 80s movies are equally as freaking jokes. Alex, why I didn't comment on your blog is because I knew that it would become this 3 paragraph love confession for The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, etc... Wow. I think I just stopped myself from rambling. This moment should be recorded for posterity. All I will allow myself to say is that I LOVE these movies!) Oh, and I like any era comedy movie. Things that are funny rarely change. (Well, unless it's some kind of topical reference, like in the way people say MJ jokes aren't funny anymore...)

A related nerd category is that of QUOTE nerd. I am an example of this brand of nerd. Some of these quotes come from the above movies, but some come from scientists, poets, overall quotable people... *here is where a list of 4000 quotes I love would be, but since I can never manage to pick my favorites you should know I'm not listing ANY of them because then I would have to list ALL of them.*

Another related nerdegory *new word* is TRIVIA NERD. I am on an endless quest for random trivia. Not useful trivia, like memorizing Nobel Prize winners, or the periodic table, but just knowing off the top of my head that Donald Duck cartoons are banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants, or that 13 people a year are killed by vending machines falling on them.

I'm also what I'll call a general Nostalgia nerd. Pre-YouTube, once the oooollld VHS was worn out, it was taken as a sign that the wear-outer should just grow up. Since the invention of YouTube, fellow nostalgia nerds have taken the time to upload all 11 parts of any obscure 90s kids movie you can think of. I've rediscovered them and they are still as awesome as I remember. Cheesy, but awesome. I think I've also confessed my love for the Muppets/Sesame Street/Arthur/Disney/Pixar/et cetra... AWESOMENESS.

I'm kind of a Drama Nerd at heart, too. In 2nd grade, my teacher ran this thing called Fairy Tale Follies, which were little plays, fractured fairy tales in the sense that they were expanded so that everyone would get a part, (i.e: 6 beauties and 6 beasties) and re-written by 2nd graders. I fancied myself quite the scriptwriter for a while... Oh, and in 3rd grade this went on again, this was our "audition":

"Okay, girls, line up at the front of the room."
*lining up and such*
"When I point to you, roar."
*girls 1-5*: "roar."
*Tiny Rena*: "ROOOOAAAAAWWWR!"

And guess who got the part of Beastie number 5???

FTF was only available to the 2nd and 3rd graders, though. :C So, in middle school I thought it would be awesome to get back involved in "drama" again. Unfortunately, the director/(librarian) is a *perdone moi francias* Capital B-izznitch. She was totally against casting 6th graders, so only one girl, (who I kind of knew, who was also a b-nizzle...) managed to get a part. (and rubbed it our faces. She went around singing "Michelle" ("ma belle, Frenchy frenchy frenchy..."), which WOULD HAVE been appropriate if "The Beatles Slept Here" was a musical, which it wasn't, why I have no clue... but because in the play "Her mother named her after the song because she was soooo beautiful.", so this girl equated her character with a reason to inflate HER ego.) By 7th grade, I forget what I was doing around audition time, but anyway I missed them... and last year Mrs. B was against me joining because I "didn't have a drama reputation" or something. Just because I'd never been IN a production. Hmpf.

(rantamania finally reared its head within this post...) Nonetheless, I still do love drama and all that, but I think I missed auditions... but if there's any "backstage" work hat involves NO ART I'd gladly participate.

My question: If given the choice, would you rather be a ninja or a zombie?

4 comments:

Alex said...

I like you new nerd categories. I'm kind of a trivia nerd, I guess, but I just like the facts, and when they're needed in conversation I can never remember them...

You must know about mentalfloss.com but I thought i'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for that Tetris website, btw. I think I'm becoming a Tetris nerd. Next thing you know, I'll be dreaming about it. I'll let you know when that happens.

Renata said...

MMM-hmm, I love mental floss!

Glad I could further your addiction. :)

Vita said...

"Mrs B?" Does that B stand for B-hmm-hmm, if you know what I'm saying? ;)

*I just reread what you wrote and that seems to be what you're implying; HOORAY for my deductive skills. :3

Boo for her. Yay for your brief stint in second grade stardom, though.

Renata said...

Yep. Typing the whole thing out again would've just taken SO MUCH WORK though, y'know?