Thursday, September 17, 2009

You can't teach on old dog to live in a glass house

I've just finished re-reading Paper Towns and as Vita and I concurred on Twitter, the second reading of Paper Towns is way deeper than the first.

The first time I read it, I thought it was hilarious. It was well written and kind of slow in the middle, but it was a great story. I loved it. But then when I read it again, it had so much more meaning and it was way better. I just got the theme and the idea that it was like a whole different book. Still funny, but really different.

Then something happened the other day and it all kind of came together in this epiphany of sorts and it changed the way a see people in a big way. I haven't stopped haven't expectations of people, but I've stopped haven't expectations about them.

On another note, next Monday, I'm taking part in a flash mob to send politicians a message about climate change. It's part of avaaz.org's tcktcktck project and basically we're going to try and get a bunch of people to show up at 3:30pm next Monday and take videos and pictures of it then send it in and have it compiled into a huge video to be shown to politicians. At last count there's about 1800 events going on and it's going to be huge.

What we're doing at our event is we're going to gather and then disperse and at a certain time everyone will freeze wherever they are for 4 minutes. Then everyone's alarms will ring and we'll try to "wake up" politicians by flooding their offices with phone calls.

If you guys want to check out events in your area, the link is this: http://tcktcktck.org/events/major-moments/global-wake-call
Most of them are happening at 12:18pm because December 18th is some big conference with for world leaders in Copenhagen, but there may be some after school and if not, feel free to organize your own.


Happy birthday to my sister, Maddy, who has recently entered teenagerdom. May you have many ansgty outbursts and aggressive fits and survive until age twenty.

1 comment:

Vita said...

That's super awesome. I love love ImprovEverywhere; the only way it could be improved if it was used to support a good cause, which is what you're doing... w00t! :)

Happy Birthday, Maddy! I hope it was oodles of fun. Do everything Alex tells you; she pretty much holds all the secrets of the universe.