Monday, September 28, 2009

Going Bovine, sans spoilers

Going Bovine.

AHHHH.

Okay, I'm forcing myself to keep my mouth shut on this book. If either of you are planning to read it (which I think you should), don't let anybody spoil it for you. I know it's not as widely anticipated as, say, Harry Potter and there are far less chances for you to GET spoiled, but I think the book loses a lot of its impact if you know what's going to happen. Actually, you may be able to guess what is going to happen as soon as you read the first page - I don't know. I couldn't. Sure, I had some ideas, but it could have gone in any direction. In fact, I won't even tell you if any of my non-defined ideas were correct or not. Because I am that mysterious. *

You might not like this book. You may find it over-the-top, overly complicated, or just bizarre. It's not for everybody; of course, no one is going to like everything, but I think that Going Bovine is more... difficult to digest for those of us who like our books linear and completely logical.

That said, I loved it.
Like, seriously. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. However, the consolation prize came in the form of something even better. It's not even the plot that really makes me love Going Bovine; it's the themes and ideas and characters that linger on every page. Don't get me wrong, the plot is one of the most unique things I've ever read - and I mean that in a good way. But... meh. I know everybody says this, but you really do have to read it to get it, you know?

Yes or no?
Porcupine.

* and/or obsessive.

5 comments:

Alex said...

Should I buy it?

Renata said...

*points up* YES.

(I haven't just yet, but I will, esp. because my local Border's loves Libba Bray as much as I do.)

Vita said...

I agree. A definite yes from me.

You know, I'd let both of you borrow my copy, but that'd be somewhat difficult, geographically speaking.

Alex said...

Okay so I kind of choked and the bookstore and went home sans Going Bovine.

It was $23! Even with my mom's discount, that expensive and I am an unemployed teenager.

Vita said...

Mehr, it's okay. Wouldn't want you starving for literature (ha ha ha...)

I bought Going Bovine + The Hunger games for about $25 on Amazon. Weird.