Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sleep is near

It's 9:05pm. I'm exhausted. It's a bit pathetic, but that's what you get when you decide you're not tired and read until 6 o'clock in the morning. Or maybe it's only the book to blame. Either way, last night was a long one and I am ready for bed tonight. Unfortunately, my bed is covered in the contents of my room. Let that be a lesson to all: cleaning your room is nearly always a bad idea. You'll end up feeling overwhelmed and depressed and sleeping on your coach.
Isn't that everyone's dream? Depressed and sleeping on the coach. Yay!

At least I have the book. Technically, I don't anymore because I finished it and it was never mine in the first place. I have to say, Catching Fire was extremely worth the sleep deprivation that has only started hitting me in the last two hours. I just can't wait until our book club when you two will read The Hunger Games. You might want to put that on hold at the library now (it may be a long wait) unless you were going to buy it. Or borrow it. All good choices. Do as you please.

Do you think history is interesting?
To an extent, yes. I have no need to read endless history books and memorize dates and random facts (though I do find people who do fascinating--my sister, Caitlyn, for example) but I do like reading my Social Studies textbooks. I find British history to have a certain allure above other countries and European history is more interesting to me than any other continent. I guess a nice tidbit about my personality is that I like to be informed. Everyone does to a certain extent, and I'm not saying I 100% back the phrase, "Knowledge is power", but I do think that knowledge gives you sophistication. I like feeling sophisticated and intellectual (even if it's just a blip between my less brilliant moments).

Do you subscribe to a newspaper?
Not a major newspaper, those are a bit unhappy for my taste, but there are two local newspapers that are delivered thrice a week, which I read. I'm not a back-to-front, sit at the breakfast table and read the newspaper kind of person, either. I like to slowly pick through it all day (taking breaks of course...), skipping over boring stuff and getting to the fun parts. Like the Letters. I love the Letters. One thing I love about local news is that if you look closely you'll see a few random little things thrown in to fill the page. I once read a paragraph about a woman who had baked marijuana into a batch of cookies that she shared with her friends, to "spice up the party". Does it get any better than a woman using cookies to drug her friends and have a good time? No, it doesn't.

How do you feel about tomatoes: veggie or fruit?
I've always thought this was a bit of a stupid argument. When I was younger, I use to have my own descriptions for fruits and vegetables. Fruits were things that were sweet and juicy that I like to eat; veggies we usually crunchy and sometimes icky that I avoided whenever possible. Clear as can be. I hate tomatoes, the texture is ew as is the taste, so naturally it falls into the vegetable category. But as my mom always used to say to try and quell little disagreements such as this: in twenty years, will it matter?

What's the most random (or best, or both) compliment you've ever received.
People (mostly my sisters) are always commenting on my small ears. I can't think of anything good aside from that. Oh, one time, someone complimented my new bike rack, only she said it, "Nice rack," so I just kind of floated through the awkwardness until I realized she wasn't alluding to be chest but rather to my bicycle. It was a nice rack, indeed.
****
I have to mention that ever since I started following you guys on Twitter, I've been checking back there more frequently. I'm always looking for more people to follow, but now I'm drowning in Tweets. Does anyone have advice on how to handle following Maureen Johnson +24 other people (seems small but it accumulates.)

Q: Do you want to get married, eventually? When would be the ideal time?

4 comments:

Renata said...

Oh. My God.

It's funny you should mention this, because one of my absolute FAVORITE quotes from this old(ish) movie (that I happen to be watching rightthisvery now. Seriously. Coinkidink?) "Young Frankenstein" (Which I doubt you've seen, and I don't blame you, but I love it...) is when Fronkenschteen is helping his assistant out of a carriage and comments on the --huge and impressively loud-- doorknockers.

"What knockers!"
"Oh! Sank you doctor... ;) "

Alex said...

I don't get it. What did I say?

Renata said...

The "Nice rack" comment made me think of it... awkward, yet completely referring to something else.

Oh, and I've done that too. Far too many times i've gone without sleep entirely JUST to read. Some books are THAT good!

Vita said...

Ah, I usually ignore the people who have extended conversations on Twitter with each other unless it's actually interesting, in which case I stalk them... HA ;) I read MJ's Tweets on her page, not on the feed, and I do the same with some other people, it's easier to keep track of, especially if their Tweets feed off of each other. Everyone else I just read in masses; once every few days I click on the "See More Tweets" and I read/skim everybody's Tweets until I get to the ones I've already read. w00t.

Staying up all night reading books is one of the greatest things in the world. You don't get it unless you've done it (which we all obviously have... haha)