Thursday, June 18, 2009

8 Ways to Conquer Boredom

I usually try to blog a little earlier than 9:22pm (that's when I'm starting) seeing as you both live in earlier time zones and I want to make sure you have the chance to read my Thursday blog on Thursday, should you so desire. But today I procrastinated, not because I am bored of blogging and find it a procrastinatably worthy activity, but because *drumroll* I am getting a new computer! I was supposed to get it today and I was hoping to blog with it, but alas.
I bought it yesterday, but it was the demo at the store and so they have to unlock it and wipe it blank and everything and I was supposed to be able to pick it up today but you know what they say about the best layed plans...

Anyway, I do not have it, but I will be picking it up tomorrow morning so when I comment on your blog, Vita, I will be indeed using an unfamiliar keyboard. I need to think of a name. Ideas? (background: it's silver with a very clickable mouse and a nice keyboard. Did I mention it's a laptop?)

As you know, it is officially summer on Sunday, which is the Solstice and also the day where we honour our lovely fathers with ties and golf equipment.* With summer comes adventure, ice cream, swimming, sun burns and free time. Boredom is a common side-effect of summer and I am going to tell you a few ways I am trying to combat this overwhelming sensation. I am also open to your personal strategies. Without further ado, I attempt to further my blogging experience with a pictury blog:


1. Photograph your backyard. One fence-side weed can turn into a lovely desktop background.








2. Bake a cake. Heart shaped cakes are quite delicious. Eat your heart out and all that jazz.






3. Garden. No explanation needed.









4. Reorganize the magnets on your fridge.












5. Play with magnetic poetry.









6. Sign up for your library's summer reading club.









7. Decorate a hula hoop with electrical tape.



8. And then, of course, hula to your heart's content.





9. If all else fails, colour!








*Yes, it bothers me that Mothers get oven mits, candles and bath products and Father's get tools, ties, and sport equipment. There's enough sexism in the world without us encouraging it, folks; get your Daddy a Ken doll.

1 comment:

Renata said...

All very good suggestions. I was thinking of trying to start a garden this summer, but it occured to me that:

-Gardens must be started in spring
-I have no prior gardenng experience
-My backyard is about 50% weeds and 40% cement, leaving 10% of a VERY small yard for gardening

I LOVE your magnetic poetry! My fridge is COVERED in magnets, but the alphabet kind, making whole words very frustrating. I may have to invest in the magnetic word-kind.

This is a long comment, almost long ennough to become part of my blog... yes, I will blog about your blog more tomorrow. (with my own added bloggishness, of course.)