Monday, June 8, 2009

Joy to the World, Summer Hath Cometh

What is your MOST favorite part of summer?

Being able to do whatever I want (to a certain extent)! There's very limited schoolwork that has to be done, and summer is generally an excellent way to catch up on everything you said you were going to do last September but, strangely enough, never actually did.
I am also a fan of the ice cream. I eat ice cream pretty much year-round (cuz I'm so healthy, y'all), but summer gives you a LEGITIMATE EXCUSE to do so.

Winter Conversation:
"Oh, hey, it's cold."
"ICE CREAM?"
"No." (*but is secretly thinking YES*)

Summer Conversation:
"Oh, hey, it's hot."
"ICE CREAM?"
"Yes." (*is actually thinking HELLS YES*)

Do you have any fond childhood memories to share? Favourite birthday/Christmas gift (wait, do you guys celebrate Christmas? Am I being close-minded?)? Injuries worth note? Do tell.

I do celebrate Christmas, but more in the commercial sense than in the religious sense. That's probably not the way it was intended to be celebrated, but this is America . . . we like our toys.

I remember this one Christmas when I was about four. My Dad got me a Fisher Price flashlight (it was actually kind of awesome; it changed color and EVERYTHING, like a disco light for pre-schoolers). But, being four, I didn't quite understand the point of a flashlight, and I was all "WHOA what is this, gimme a good present ya hear?" except I was four, so it was more "So where's my Barbie?" (Turns out, I actually did get a Barbie princess, too - and you can say what you want about Barbie destroying children's self-images, but crikey they are freaking entertaining.) Anyways, I seriously doubt my Dad's feelings were hurt, and I did end up saying "thank you," but I still feel kind of bad about it. A weird little child was I.

QUESTION: If you could solve one major (but specific) issue today, what would it be? That could include stopping the genocide in Darfur, providing literally global health care, getting rid of your country's debt, etc.

1 comment:

Alex said...

My sister apparently wasn't good at receiving gifts when she was younger (actually that hasn't changed much). I've been told that one Christmas when my grandparents came to visit my mom coached and practiced with her opening gifts smiling and saying thank you.

So when she opens my grandmother's gift (a dress) she takes one look says "I'll never wear this", and moves on to the next one.

Children are ungrateful scabs at times. Parents get used to it.