Monday, June 22, 2009

Trains and Things

I don't know if you guys heard about the DC Metro Crash (that's Washington, DC), but - my dad was riding the Red Line (the same line that the crash happened on) about the same time that the crash happened, but he wasn't on either train, so he's fine. I'M SO GLAD. The crazy thing about the crash is that it's apparently only the second major crash in the Metro's 33 year history, and the Metro is normally insanely awesome - there's very little crime; the trains themselves are abnormally clean (food isn't allowed for that reason); they are generally very safe. It's kind of scary to know that 6 people could die, and 70 others could be injured, on a regular, everyday subway train like these.

Well, now that I've covered that cheery topic!

I've spent most of today cleaning, cleaning, cleaning my room. I finished sorting out all my clothes, and I have a very big bagful to give away to Goodwill, so I'm feeling quite accomplished in that respect. I'm really not an organized person, and my room is very messy. It's not dirty, really, it's just cluttered. But the floor is mostly clear now, although I suspect that cleaning my room completely will prove to be a week-long job. OH! That reminds me, I'll be in Indiana from Thursday to Friday, so I probably won't be able to blog on Friday, unless my dad brings his laptop. I'm going to a parent/student college orientation for my sister, and apparently younger siblings count as parents. HOORAY!

Alex: Have you ever been stung by a bee? How do you feel about bees in general?
You know, I don't think I've ever been stung by a bee, either because I'm abnormally lucky bee-wise, or I just go out of my way to avoid being stung by bees (i.e., look where I'm stepping before I walk on the grass barefoot or with flipflops). I don't know how painful getting stung by a bee is, and I've been attacked by other bugs in the past, so it's possible I've been stung without realizing it, but I don't think so.
I think that honeybees are adorable! They're so happy, buzzing along their way, and they only sting you if you bother them. Of course, I still don't like it when they get too close to me, but I admire them from afar.
Wasps and hornets are a different story. I don't know if they're technically bees, but in any case they are the devil in small flying form. They attack you with no reason, and either one of them (possibly both) don't die after stinging you once; they just KEEP GOING. I hate them.

No comments: