Friday, June 12, 2009

SAVING THE EARTH (or at least seeing it)

You know what really annoys me? Having to do things that I really don't want to do.

I know that sounds shallow and superficial and selfish, and maybe it is. But, then again, what is the point?

I get that there has to be some kind of system that limits people from, say, going around shooting each other. I do think that governments are important, because honestly, 99% of countries without governments are a mess. I don't know why - maybe because the lack of organized programs drives people to desperation? Maybe because people are inherently aggressive and, left to their own devices, would rather take the easy way out and steal or use violence rather than work out a long-term plan? Maybe because there are a few people who are just sort of insane and their ideas start to influence everybody else, too? It could be something completely different. But, regardless, anarchy is normally not a good thing, even though it often seems like it could be.

And I understand why people have to work. That's how we live. That's how we survive. It's virtually impossible for one person to provide themselves with every service they need, at least if you want to continue with, you know, electricity and stuff. Also, I'm not a huge "do this because it builds character" type person, but I do think that working helps to occupy people and basically make them appreciate life more. Everybody says it, but if you get everything in life handed to you, do you really appreciate anything? I mean, coming from a middle-class suburban family, I have a pretty good life as compared to half the world. I'm sure that many people from "developing countries," as is the PC term these days, would consider me (most of us, really) to be extremely spoiled. And they would have a point. From my perspective, my life isn't exactly easy. We don't have maids coming in and cleaning for us; my sister and I won't be getting cars as presents. We can't afford everything that we want - but we can afford enough. More than we need, really; how many clothes do I have that I hardly ever wear, while people in the city right over from mine are literally starving in the streets? I don't think that we should have to give up everything in order to help other people - after all, starving myself won't exactly reduce world hunger - but when you just think about it, most of us are so, so lucky.

I guess my problem isn't really having to do unpleasant things. Those are necessary sometimes. I think my issue is the fact that we always have to conform, conform, conform. Follow the rules, even when they don't make sense. Go to college, work in an office, or you're not worthy of our time. Hey, I have no flipping idea what the meaning of life is, but I'd like to think that us humans, with all our "superior knowledge" and "mad skillz" should be able to choose our own opportunites. I think that school is important, but do you realize how much time we spend there? How much time we spend working, working, working? Why do we feel like we have to lead the same repetitive, dull, insanity-inducing lifestyle? Why are we so afraid to do something different? Hell, you can't travel anywhere without getting detained half the time. What the crap? We're supposed to be saving the Earth. We'd better go see some of it.

Argh. I love people, but we are probably the most annoying, obnoxious, stupid species on the planet. *

Questions answered on Monday; I think this is getting a bit long.

On a final note, I just had my last exam today and I am now DONE with school until late August, so I will have lots more time to comment on teh blogz lolz. (But for reals, sorry about the neglect that I have been bestowing upon yous' blogs lately. *shame*)

* Except for, say, mosquitoes. Or infectious diseases. And similar organisms.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Yays for school ending.

I know what you mean about school, regardless of the fact that I don't actually go to school.
I find that kids spend so much time filling out worksheets, and doing homework and creating science projects that are just going to be thrown in the bin the second they've served their useless purpose.

We could and should be spending that time world saving, and yet people are stuck in classrooms (and offices, etc.) WORKING!

Renata said...

Yes. Very much YAY. (for summer, of course.) More blogging time. And I agree with you about work. Maybe it wouldn't seem like so much if we used that time to work on things we want to do. Instead of things we "should" be doing. Ideally these would be the same, but that's not the case...