Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mighty "Fine" Tans

I'm sitting here listening to the Wizard rock I just bought with the remainder of my birthday iTunes card and it's gorgeous outside (if you like the sun, that is) and I'm content. It's a nice feeling. I had Japanese for lunch. That was tasty.

Something in a recent blog made my want to write about tanning. The only way I can tan is to burn first. I don't like to burn. Last summer I went to Prince Edward Island and bicycled. And bicycled. Just so you know, if anyone ever tells you a place is flat, DO NOT ever BELIEVE THEM. They are most likely lying.

Anyway I went to PEI and I bicycled. You've probably never thought about this, but when sitting on a bike the areas most commonly found in the sun are the back of your hands, the front half of the top half of your leg, and the back of your neck. I was very meticulous about the back of my neck and didn't burn there, but the same cannot be said for my legs and my hands.

While I was on my bike trip, I wore those dorky-looking bike shorts that are usually associated with hardcore cyclists. My shorts were black spandex and were from a bike trip from BC to California called Tour de Kids. I did not participate in this event, but I have connections and the shorts came to me. I think I would've died on the way to California, but I still have the shorts.

Wearing these shorts with the padding in the butt made it remarkably bearable to sit on a bike seat for 3-6 hours a day. They also make it remarkably inevitable to get a lovely sunburn on the upper portion of your remarkably exposed legs. This red ouchy burn eventually turned into a remarkably awkward tan. This tan makes Alex in a bathing suit look remarkably funny. With her pasty upper upper leg and her darkly tanned lower leg.

The tan is still there. Almost a year later, in some light, you can still see that faint line where the bike shorts sat all those weeks in PEI. It makes me almost want to get a fake spray tan. Almost.

On another note I realized that responding to "how are you", with the bland "fine" is actually a negative response. My logic: when you fail to return a book to the library because you're lazy or you can't find it you get a fine! These fines slowly build until they reach $35 and the library hates you. You stop going to the library. You mooch off your sister and borrow her card. She starts to hate you. You give up on reading, altogether. You are clearly not fine. I rest my case.

What did you want to be when you grew up and how has it changed since then?

When I was younger I wanted to be an actress. I don't really want to do that anymore. Too much pressure and spotlight. Haha, I almost just typing "I want to have a normal life", I am such a laugh sometimes. I don't want to be normal, I just want to be happy. Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to make money, or how I want to spend my days, but I do know that I want to follow my bliss and find happiness and help other people do the same. I don't want to think about anything else right now. I'm only fifteen! 

Is anyone REALLY EXCITED about UP, the new Pixar movie?

I wouldn't say REALLY EXCITED, no. I probably won't end up seeing it in the theatres at all. I LOVED Wall-e and Finding Nemo, and even Bolt, despite the talking dog and Miley Cyrus's voice (I'm probably being mean but it REALLY irritates me), so I'll probably like it, but not enough to pay $5.25 when I don't know for sure it's good. You enjoy yourself, though. :)

What is your LEAST favourite part of summer?

No comments: