Saturday, June 27, 2009

In which I kind of fixate on death a little too much.

So. I blame my mom for what I'm going to blog about today. That just sounded really weird, but I explains:

My mother is only slightly younger than MJ. (was) (I found about about this on youtube and I was like "OMG no Maureen Johnson is dead! NO!" Then I was like "Oh, duh... nevermiiiinnnddd...") This freaked her out. Despite the fact that she is absolutely nothing like Michael Jackson. At all. Thankfully. And that the average lifespan for an American female is 79.1 years. (81.2 years for those in Canada, Alex. Lucky you. :) )

She has also made me watch the entirety of the Thriller video. 20 minutes, one freaked out Rena.

Only mildly, but that cemented my position on team Unicorn. Think about it. Which do you EXPECT to kill you: brain-munching zombies who hunger for human flesh, or adorable, shiny happy white unicorns? They're magical ponies! :D That's why I like them. They're sneaky. They could brutally murder you and you would think everything was peachy-keen until you lost concisousness. It's always the one you neeeevvver expect, isn't it?

This also brings up all those cliched questions surrounding death in general. Where do we go, exactly? What happens? Will we find happiness in death? Relief? Or will we wallow in guilt and misery, haunted by our past, no matter where we end up? Will we be granted the privelege to right our wrongs in some way, just to acheive peace in the afterlife? Did we ever really find the meaning of life? Is the meaning of life death itself? Am I being creepy now? Should I shut up?

Shutting up about that now...

I don't think my parents have ever thrown out a record in their lives, so boxes of them consume about 50% of the space in the closet under the stairs. Whenever a musician/person made a record either of my parents own dies, it is practically required I be present in the listening to said records as a type of tribute. Very good music, actually. Hopefully the fact that he used to be a terrific performer will precede, "Wow. Shame he turned out to be a creep, huh?"

Well, it's late now. I can't remember if there were questions to answer, but I'll just answer them Tuesday.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I found out that Michael Jackson was dead in Indigo (that's a bookstore, part of the Chapters franchise, and I don't think I've ever seen one in the states, so I assume you don't have them but I could be wrong).
This lady got a beeping sound and she took out her mobile device and then she looked up at my mom and said, "Michael Jackson died."
Then they went on to talk about how Farrah Fawcett had just died, too. And how terrible it was.

Have I ever told you that I can dance a watered down version of the Thriller music video dance? Because I can. I learned it last October in hopes to participate in breaking a world record of most people dancing at once. Unfortunately I didn't register as a participant so I wans't officially part of the record breaking shenanigan, but I did dance at exactly 11:00am on the day of the event. WIN!

The whole, Canadian vs. American life expectancy got me thinking, have you ever been to Canada? I've been to the US a lot, and I'm just wondering if you've ever visited. Don't know why, but wwhatevs.

Renata said...

Nope. I want to, though. Especially now that I KNOW (kinda) someone who lives in Canada! :)

I can't dance at all, all of the Thriller dance I can do is the claws-ish thing. (is that the name for it? Well, you know, the only part that is memorable even if you have lived under a rock since 800 BC...)

And also, that guy Billy Mays is dead now too. From the OxiClean/KABOOM!/tons of other stuff infomercials. Do they have the same commercials in Canada? And no, we don't have Indigo bookstores here. The two major chains here are Borders and Barnes&Noble