Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chronicles of a Stalker

Hmm... what should I write about today? I have no idea. Wait a second, did I recently see the person I am weirdly obsessed with? As a matter of fact, I did. Why don't I write about that?

Today, I was in Vancouver again. I go there so often, I feel like a commuter. It's sad. Last time I was there, my mom turned the wrong way down a one way street (not her fault--lack of signage caused this). I don't recommend doing this. It's kinda scary.*

So I was strolling about Granville Island after the Vancouver Reader's and Writer's Festival--which was awesome, but slightly overshadowed by the event that proceeded it--and Jensen Ackles walked by.
I went to a session on screen writing vs. noveling so here's a movie look at the scene:
[Two girls and their mother are walking
from a theatre to their car. Jensen Ackles walks by.]
Rachel: [grabs Alex's arm] ALEX! IS THAT JENSEN ACKLES?!?!?!
Alex: Holy f***, yes!
[The two girls look at each other and start squealing--fangirlism takes over]
Alex: Let's follow him!
[The girls alert their mother of the situation, turn around and hasten after the gorgeous actor.]
Rachel: This feels weird and stalkerish.
Alex: That's because it is weird and stalkerish. Who cares? It's Jensen Ackles. Hurry up.
[The girls agree to meet their mother later and continue following Jensen and his posse. Unfortunately, they lose him, because they are amateurs in the art of stalking and they were too busy hyperventilating to see whether he went into the restaurant or headed over to the dock.]
*End scene*

Sadly, didn't have a chance to approach him and get an autograph, picture or hug. But seeing as this is the second time we've seen him, chances are there will be a third. Next time, I will be prepared, with a camera, pen, paper and running shoes.

You may be interested in how it feels to be a stalker. I will tell you: It feels awkward and incredibly fun. I'm extremely frustrated that we lost him. I mean, how often do you get to see your favourite celebrity? You think we'd be able to keep up and pay attention.

My God, I feel like a freak. I mean, if I step outsid
e my own perspective and see the situation as an outsider... I look like a crazed teenage fan girl who followed a celebrity. Not a well known celebrity, but still. I cannot explain my obsession with this poor guy. My heart started racing when I saw him. This is not normal.

It brings about the question: why are we, as a culture, so obsessed with celebrities? When you think about it, they're just people. They're n
ot their characters. They just have jobs that put them in the spotlight and make them look appealing. Sure, Jensen is really attractive, but lots of people are really attractive. I don't stalk lots of people. I stalk Jensen.

Dear God, I'm such a creeper. But I have to admit, I'm proud of my fangirlyness.** I commit.

All I can say is this: this is SO going in my novel.
Apparently, those Winchesters don't take kindly to fans. Note taken.

*I just have to note that it is an injustice in our language that spell check doesn't recognize 'signage' as a word, but it doesn't give me a red scwiggly line under 'kinda'.
**That's not a word, either, huh spell check. Go f...ly a kite.

6 comments:

Renata said...

Well, we ARE teenage girls. We're allowed to have ONE celebrity crush we stalk... >.>

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

This post came up in my Google alert! :)

I'm 38, and if my 38-year-old best friend and I had been in the same situation, we would have acted the exact same way.

I don't know if that will make you feel better, creep you out, or cause you to make that "Gahd, old people are so LA-ame" face teenagers are so good at. :)

Renata said...

No, not really. Just proves all that "grow up" crap isn't true. Never happens, does it? ;)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Nope. I'd say it doesn't. LOL

Alex said...

I guess it makes me feel better. It's not that I was feeling bad before, it's just that I thought it was strange to follow someone intentionally without their permission. Which is kinda is. But at least I'm not alone, right?

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

But at least I'm not alone, right?

Right, that's what I meant. :)