Saturday, October 17, 2009

Motivationalism.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and it seems like humans as a whole need a LOT of motivation. Why do people even get out of bed? To go to work, in which case the motivation is almost solely money. To go to school, in which case the motivation is to get smarter and eventually take over the world. To laze around the Internet, in which case the motivation is to decrease boredom and suck in one's life. Life is less and less controlled by what people WANT to do, (which I guess is a sign of maturity, but that's never fun, now IS it?!) and more controlled by what HAS to be done. Then we all see what's in it for *us* or create a quasi-reward system in our brains.

Ahhhh, this blog is starting to sound like really morbid and depressed. Really, I'm not. I've just been procrastinating and using this train of thought as a way to procrastinate. Motivation is the opposite of procrastination. I'm not good at self-motivation, I thoroughly applaud people who are. *claps*

There ya go. I, on the other hand, need posters such as this:



Oh, wait. THAT isn't motivational! *facepalm* Silly me.



That's better...ish.

My dental history:
Okay. I still have braces, had them since July of last year. I'll probably have to have a retainer or something later, and I'm going to have a tooth pulled soon if I "don't have the balls to pluck it out" myself. (Pretty much an exact quote from my dentist. (Ya. That guy.) Excuse me, I HAVE NO BALLS TO SPEAK OF.) I'm almost used to having teeth pulled, though. I've have 4 pulled so far, 1 in 4th grade, but it was loose so no Novocaine was needed. One in 6th grade, the shot thingy scarred me, so the other 2 I got pulled shortly before I got the braces put on I had to be sedated for. It was strangely fun, in retrospect. I was loopy. Everything was slow and kind of... thick. Air was water and blue was orange. The pediatric dentist's mustache danced. It was a weird mustache to begin with, like your neighborhood sexual offender would have. It creeps me out, but in that state it made me giggle.

Computer situation:

*sigh* I am GETTING a Mac. I have been told this since June, it is to be my graduation present. Our current PC is around 4 years old and doesn't have Word (or any decent essay-typing device), thanks to a hard drive wipe to remove a virus last August. I'm really sick of having to waste my study period typing stuff instead of doing other homework. (that's probably more important...) The powers of persuasion are working, though. If all goes well by the end of next week I will be taking a jaunt to the Apple store and coming come a proud Mac owner.

My question: (taken from another semi-motivational poster)

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

1 comment:

Alex said...

To be an online learner/home schooler, you're supposed to be "self-motivated", whatever the hell that means.

I just think you have to do it, and you do it because you want to, or you do it because someone's telling you to.
I prefer option 1.

Then again, I did sign up for NaNo.