Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why do people blog?

Tis the Balloon Boy's fault. Yes, tis.

While having a discussion with my mom about this whole Balloon Boy hoax, this was said:

MOM: "Why do people even WANT a reality show?!
MOI: "To be famous and for money, but mostly just to be known."
MOM: "Like some sick extended need to be popular. That's why people blog. To feel like their opinion really matters They think people care what they think. It's ego maniacal."

**This was said very casually, not in an accusing way, because she knows I blog. She regards this as a sort of public online pen pal thingy; it is, but I doubt she reads this. That would be like the equivalent of your mom friending you on Facebook. Not exactly wrong, but awkward.**

Anywho, there's kind of a point in that statement. And also not. Not when the opinion in question is relating to something important, but stuff like "I ate soup today and it was warm. Yum yum chicken noodle. Good-bye." (but then, these people are twisted enough to think them eating soup IS indeed important...) Points I think have been said here, but every once in a while it's nice to be thought-provoking, no? And European, yes? (I feel the need to point out when I lapse into an affected Euro way of typing... I'm sure the French are offended. How cool would it be to have French people read this? International blog spreading! Whoop! Uck, "spreading" sounds like spreading disease... which is why I refrain from saying "I got it", especially, "I got it from ___". What is IT? My mind jumps to contagious disease, but I'm weird. YAY.)

STOP!
Hammertime!!
*dance break*

Longest, most disconnected train of thought I think I've ever typed. Hooray!!!!

Where was I? Oh yeahhhh, QUESTIONS!

RPattz convo: We would talk for hours about how I *thought* I used to hate him. We'd laugh, of course. We'd discuss the government and environmentalism, over a friendly game of Trivial Pursuit. Then the subject would switch to him, in a polite way, and we'd chat about how he was planning to retire from acting and join an Amazon expedition and cure AIDS. And then write a memoir.

BWHAHAHAHAH!

Real answer: Engage in a "Hey how ya doin?" bit of conversation. I've heard he rarely showers. I would keep my distance, but at least TRY to talk to him.

Question: Aside from any dead relatives/The Great Whoever, which 4 dead people would you most like to meet?

1 comment:

Alex said...

Hi, my name is Alex, and I am an ego-maniac.

That does bring about an interesting thought: if no one read this, not even you two, would I still blog?

But it's true, people blog because they want to be known a little. They want people to care about what they're saying.

I wouldn't recommend blogging if you're looking for fame and money, but people do it for some reason, right?