Friday, October 16, 2009

Crazy Americans

People in other countries may call us crazy. Nevertheless, I am a huge fan of using both the metric and the imperial measurement systems. Really, I don't understand this "metric-only" business. When you have both inches and centimeters at your disposal, measuring things is so much simpler - if something doesn't measure neatly in one, you can just switch to the other. As long as everyone uses one system for international scientific things, I don't see the problem of us craaazy Americans keeping our bimeasuring system.

Also, Farenheit makes much more sense to me than Celsius. 38 degrees does not call to mind the image of burning suns, whereas 100 degrees does that quite nicely. Really, people always tell me that 38 degrees C is "quite hot," but I consider anywhere from 85 to 110+ degrees F to be "quite hot" so that doesn't help me much. I suppose if I had to use Celcius, I'd get used to it eventually, but I'd rather not have to learn.

Question: What's the longest you've ever had a song stuck in your head, and what was/is it?
Juliet by LMNT! It's been stuck in my head since 8th grade. "I think you're fine, you really blow my mind. Maybe some day, you and me can run away. I just want you to know I wanna be your Romeo, hey Juliet HEY HEY HEY HEY JULIET." Good thing I love it! Hell yeah for cheesy 90s songs. (Backstreet's Back is another good one... "Everybody (yeah yeah) shake your body (yeah yeah) everybody, rock your body right... BACKSTREET'S BACK ALRIGHT!" Oh the 90s.)

Q: How's your dental hygiene these days (omit if it's too painful to discuss)?
Not bad. I had braces from 5th to the beginning of 8th grade and now my teeth are quite straight (except for one , which is straight but still growing, so there's a little gap between one of my top and bottom teeth... nothing too bad, though). I had to get surgery on one that still-growing tooth in 7th grade because it was stuck, so to speak, and my orthodontist (who is also my dentist) said that it would be easier to get surgery on it so it would grow faster. The surgery wasn't that bad because I was on laughing gas, which is completely trippy but made the surgery itself completely painless (except for after the gas wore off and my tooth started hurting like crazy, but that was only for one day). I still have a retainer that I have to wear at night so my teeth don't get crooked again, but nothing during the day. I don't have to go back to the dentist for another 5ish months, and that's just for a routine cleaning, so it's all good.

Do you have your own computer (one that belongs to you, not your entire family)?

3 comments:

Alex said...

Maybe you still use Farenheit because when people in Canada tell you that it's 38 degrees and the suns are burning down on us you can use it as evidence that it's ridiculously cold in Canada.

For your information it is 16 degrees outside. How's that for cold?
(It's actually quite mild out)

Vita said...

Hahahah. It's all a plot to trick zee stupeed Americans.

So when (if) you look at Farenheit temperatures, do you initially think "holy crap that's hot" or are you automatic with your conversions? (I think 100 is boiling in Celsius, so maybe not... or maybe the American lakes are all just boiling hot. You never know).

Renata said...

Yuz. We iz stupidd is deeserve to be treecked.

It's really confusing in the beginning, but we spent like all of 4th grade learning to convert for science class, so I'm "fluent" in both now.