Friday, October 2, 2009

I Dream of Man-Made Lakes

Alex, this might interest you (well, maybe Rena too, but I know Alex is an environmental nut*). This summer, we got a new air conditioning/heating system installed in our house because the old one was very old and constantly on the brink of death. I suppose that nixing the air conditioner altogether would be the best thing for the planet, but a) it gets really, really chilly in the winter and b) it gets really, really hot in the summer. Therefore, we are never going to give up our heating system.
ANYWAY, we got our heating bill today, and in September 2008, our air conditioner let off about 790 kwh. This year (September 2009) it let off a whopping 410 kwh. That's almost half the amount as last year! And we're signing up for some electricity recycling thing, the details of which I am rather fuzzy on, but that should further lower our output. Huzzah!

"Intelligence Test" results:
According to this test, I am:

20 linguistically smart
16 kinaesthetically smart
17 naturalistically smart
7 visually/spacially smart
21 musically smart
17 intrapersonally smart
21 interpersonally smart
14 logically smart

I'm not sure what to label the numbers as; sorry.
Merp merp. I dunno if this is accurate or not. I think that it's difficult to classify a person in any category, even if there are many different options. Still, these intelligence tests amuse the hell out of me. They're so fun; perhaps it has something do with the fact that humans are inherently egocentric. :D

Howza weather?

Temperature-wise, I doubt it's as extreme as in some other places, but it does get up (and down) there. For some reason people never seem to think of Maryland as very diverse, climate and geographic -wise, but there is a crapload of variation in every department imaginable.** I swear our weather is bipolar.
That said, I am a fan of Maryland weather, for the most part. September was strangely cool and rainy (usually it's still pretty hot all the way through) and the weather is a bit depressing at the moment - gray, oppressive-looking clouds; no rain, just a constant gloom in the sky. But it's hot in the summer, nippy in the fall, cold in the winter, and pleasant in the spring.

Tell us a "fun fact" about the area you live in (it doesn't have to be specific; you can say North America for all I care). :)

* I mean this in a kind way. >:)
** Seriously; Maryland is crazy diverse. The only geographical features we don't have (for the most part) are deserts and natural lakes. For some reason, Maryland didn't come with ready-made lakes; they're all man-made. Oh well.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I don't mind being an environmental nut, actually. Huzzah!

I guess the test makes more sense if you read the whole lesson :P
It's kind of just about what learning methods work best for you. For instant your highest areas are musical and interpersonal, so that would indicate that it is easiest for you to learn if something is connected to music or other people.

The example is that when kids are learning the alphabet some find it easiest to remember the song and some think it's easier to remember each word connected with the letters or a picture of the word it's connected with (apple for 'a', etc.)

I hope this comment is done because I just got bored of writing it.

Renata said...

Yay environmentalists! :)