Sunday, October 11, 2009

"LOVE is all we need to make it through"

** I know this isn't my day to blog; hopefully this is okay with you all! **

This was NOT written by me; it was written by my friend Kim:

"I'm so disappointed in myself for not knowing about this event sooner, otherwise I would have made my mark to all of my friends to showing the support I have for everyone out there--- I love you all too much to let someone's sexuality disturb my opinion about them . This is almost like the Civil Rights movement-- where there WAS racism, but instead, we have it in a new revolution, where we are experiencing homophobia everyday. I do act upon my friends, and myself when I do hear people say "gay" as a replacement for "stupid", or anything of the sort. I am a strong believer of love. Surely, if you believe in love, I don't see why you have to be against two men loving each other, two women loving each other, two transgenders loving each other, or a man and woman loving each other.
Guys, do help the cause. I'm not asking just ONE day of support, but everyday-- tell your peers of the wrongfulness of homophobia. Tell your parents, your siblings, your co-workers.

Everyone deserves equal rights. Our gays, lesbians, transgenders, EVERYONE deserves the right to win a free, justice-ful and open lifestyle no matter what. We have to work together, respect one another, love each other, and we ALL need to speak out with one another, respectfully, in order to "talk things out" and change our society.. for the better.

Although I am heterosexual, and this is not a speech or an essay, I'm speaking out because this is one of the things in our lives that will affect us for the rest of our lives. I KNOW that years from now, we will be seeing this in textbooks, and we will be the ones telling our children, "ooh. i lived through this. it was a tough time for them..." and I DO want to be the one to tell my child that this was not something fair or happy. I do not want this kind of discrimination to happen again towards ANYONE or ANYTHING. The stereotypes NEED to go away. Our wrongful peers NEED to stop being so judgmental of others and to just focus on the GOOD traits of others, rather than focus on the superficial aspects.
We're fighting til the End!
xoxo
Kimmy
"

No comments: